Summit Entertainment has decided to release Stephanie Meyer’s Eclipse movie adaptation on June 30 2010. And so the third film is on its way and should be released about half a year from now. Twilight has earned over $370 million in worldwide gross income since its release on November 21st 2008.
Deadline Hollywood Daily quote from the Eclipse plot summary:
As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death.
Also new (unofficial report): Director Catherine Hardwick's claim that she didn't –want- to direct New Moon opposes Summit’s claim; that Summit decided not to hire her for New Moon.
This is the Plot Summary of the Eclipse book according to Wikipedia.org:
The story opens with the revelation that Seattle, Washington is being plagued by a string of unsolved murders, which Edward suspects is caused by a new vampire that is unable to control its thirst for human blood. As Edward and Bella apply to colleges, Bella explains to Edward her desire to see her friend, Jacob Black, a werewolf. Although Edward fears for her safety, Bella insists that neither Jacob nor his wolf pack would ever harm her, and she begins visiting him occasionally. Meanwhile, Alice Cullen has a vision that Victoria, a vampire who is hunting Bella for revenge, has returned to Forks. A few days later, Edward proposes to Bella and, despite harboring an aversion to marriage, she accepts.
Bella and the Cullens soon realize that the Seattle murders are being committed by an "army" of newborn vampires, controlled by Victoria. The Cullens join forces with the wolf pack to combat this threat. As everyone else prepares for battle, Edward, Bella, and Jacob camp in the mountains, hidden during the battle, where they are later joined by Seth Clearwater, a young wolf pack member, to wait out the fight.
In the morning, Jacob becomes upset when he overhears Edward and Bella discussing their engagement and threatens to join the fight and get himself killed. To stop him, Bella kisses Jacob and comes to realize that she is in love with him as well. During the battle, Victoria tracks Edward's scent to Bella's forest hiding place, and Edward is forced to fight. After Victoria and her army are successfully destroyed, Bella explains to Jacob that while she loves him, her love for Edward is greater. After receiving a wedding invitation from Edward, Jacob runs away in his wolf form to escape his pain, angry and heartbroken at Bella's decision to become a vampire.
Source: Wikipedia.org, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(novel)
Some questions in need of answers: (help out if you can!)
1. Why doesn’t Summit release Twilight Eclipse in November / December 2010? Why so early?
2. Will Edward Cullen ( Robert Pattinson ) survive Eclipse?
3. Will Bellan Swan ( Stephenie Meyer ) survive Eclipse?
4. Will the release date survive? Is this the correct release date? Won’t they just screw up and move it to November?
5. Will Twilight Eclipse be a great film and a success or will it simply be a Summit money-grab, another high speed schedule production with a lame screenplay, cheap dialogues and CGI?
6. Will Chris Weitz produce Twilight Eclipse?
7. Did Summit do a great job producing the Twilight Saga so far?
8. Does Summit Rock?
9. Does Summit suck?
10. Did Summit screw up the entire Twilight Saga?
11. Is Summit desperate? Is Twilight their only cash cow?
12. Is it too soon to start thinking about a third movie?
13. Harry Potter versus Twilight, which one rules the roost? Which one is best?
14. Why are the Twilight movies more disappointing than the books? Chemistry is killed!
15. Will Elizabeth Reaser play in Eclipse?
16. Will Bella become a Vampire?
17. Why wouldn’t Summit product Breaking Dawn?
18. Why haven’t they greenlit Breaking Dawn?
19. Will Twilight Eclipse be the best movie in the series or should we expect Breaking Dawn to top Wilight Eclipse?
20. Was New Moon a rush job?
21. Should they have merged New Moon and Eclipse into one movie? (I say yes, the storyline for New Moon was too weak.)
22. Will the Twilight Saga beat the Lord of the Rings Saga in success and popularity?
23. Will the Twilight Saga beat the Harry Potter Saga in success and popularity?
I’ll be keeping track of all news related to Twilight: Eclipse on this page!